Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Resources & Tips for your Assignment
Reference books make good starting points, especially for information on an author or a work of literature.
Start with the resources below, then move through this guide using the tabs above for resources & research tips for your assignment for this class.
In the Library's Reference Collection: Multi-volume Critical Reference Series:
Use the reference works above to find any of the following:
- Biographical information about a writer
- Background information about a work
- Critical essays about writers and works
Tips for Using these Reference Works
Use Library Reference Works in conjunction with the online database Literary Index.
- Search in Literary Index for your author
- You'll find essays listed in several reference books
- If you see any of ODU Library's reference books in your list of results, note the book title, volume number, & page number
- Then go to the Reference Stacks and look it up in the book!
Student Learning Outcomes
This guide is designed to enable students to:
- Conduct research using a variety of research methods and technological and information resources to gather knowledge using library catalogs, databases, and reference resources
Course Research Guide content & student learning outcomes are based on course syllabus objectives & assignment.