Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Start your Industry Analysis Here
Start you industry analysis by following these 3 steps using the links and guides below:
- Search for an Industry Report in Mergent as a starting point
- Search for an Industry Profile in Business Source Complete - for current trends, issues, competitors
- Search for companies within that industry in Morningstar - read the Analyst Report for performance & competitive landscape
- Search for an Industry Essay in Business Insights: Global - for history of the industry
These many-page documents are great starting points!
You can then continue researching your industry by going through the additional resources using the tabs above.
STEP 1: Mergent
Mergent Online provides company information, equity pricing & research, & industry analyses. Includes executive information, annual reports, and financials.
Morningstar Investment Research Center
Look up the players in an industry sector and use the Analyst Reports to see how they and the industry are performing.
STEP 2: Business Source Complete
Business Source Complete
Search in Business Source Complete initially to find Industry Profiles on your industry for trends, issues, competitors within the industry, & factors impacting the industry.
STEP 3: Business Insights: Global
TIPS & STRATEGIES for Industry Research
- Start with Industry Reports & Industry Profiles first - they will give you the big picture of the industry & help you to identify what you still need more information on
- Use multiple databases - each database will offer you something different
- Check dates of publication - each database updates its information on industries at different times